December 2021 update

We have been writing many times about some of the consequences of violating the immigration regime in Bulgaria. Basically, the Law on the Foreigners is quite straightforward:

A visa or entry into the country of a foreigner shall be refused when there is evidence that in the last two years he has violated the border, passport-visa, currency or customs regime of the Republic of Bulgaria.

Art. 10 (1), p.10 of the Foreigners Law

Pretty clear right? Visa (or visa-free allowed stay) overstay will immediately trigger entry ban for the next 2 years.

Now and before

Prior to 2020, the Bulgarian authorities were applying the legal norm quite loosely. There were many foreigners, who overstayed their visa and were still not banned from entry into the country. The covid crisis however changed the whole landscape. Since the pandemic started, according to our own research, about 97% of those who violate the visa regime (ie the validity of it), are banned from entry. Period!

What to do if you have overstayed or are about to overstay your allowed term in Bulgaria?

You must be pro-active, first of all. If your allowed term to stay in Bulgaria is soon to expire, then there is no need to panic. If you have overstayed already and are illegally in the country already, there is still a chance to rectify the situation. In all cases, please contact us asap. We can then sit together and see what the best option for you is. In most cases, we will be able to help you. But the sooner you contact us, the easier (and cheaper) everything will be.


  1. we have bought property in sunny beach..We overstayed by 204 days trying to sort out the legalities. Went to Burgas migration office and were fined 800 levas and asked to leave bulgaria in 30 days. We paid the fine straight away and left before the 30 days was up hoping to get a visa d so we can go back. I have been to London bulgarian embassy to apply and am waiting to hear. My partner is looking for work over there. What I would like to know is, can I go straight back or will I have to stay in UK for the overstating and will my partner have to stay the extra 204, he needs to be in bulgaria as he’s been offered work.Also my poor little dogs are In bulgarian kennels since we came back here to UK, nearly 2 months now. We both want to get back to our home in bulgaria and will be applying for the yearly visa next. please advise. Thank you.

    1. Author

      Your case is complicated and you should consider contacting our offices to book a consultation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *